NBN & YOUR LIFT
- The NBN installation will affect the operation of lift emergency phones, fire alarm panels, back-to-base security systems, medical alert systems, and landline phones in many Australian buildings. If you have a lift emergency phone, please register it with NBN. Call your lift maintenance provider for advice before moving to the NBN™ network.
- Unlike the previous copper network, the NBN does not guarantee continuity of service during a power outage. In many cases, existing infrastructure for lift emergency phones, fire alarm panels, back-to-base security systems, medical alert systems, and landline phones can no longer be relied upon in such situations once the NBN has been connected.
- If you have a lift emergency phone, please register it with NBN and contact your lift maintenance provider to find out if your device is compatible before moving to the NBN™ network. This will help NBN and your lift maintenance provider support you in minimizing any break in service when the existing network is switched off.
- NBN Co has allowed a transition period of 18 months from the time of NBN connection to the disconnection of the copper network. For lift emergency phones which have been registered with NBN Co, an extension period will be granted until 18 months after NBN connection.
- If you are provided with a Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) connection, please ask your service provider to supply a UNI-V port with battery backup supplied. This is the only solution that will not require an upgraded lift emergency telephone. It is only available for certain properties. If you are not sure of the service provided, please contact your internet service provider, e.g. Telstra.
What you need to do
- If you have a lift emergency phone, please register it with NBN.
- Call your lift maintenance provider for advice before moving to the NBN™ network.
Questions to consider
- Will my existing lift emergency phone work properly when connected to the NBN™ network? – The answer will more than likely be NO
- What specific phone or internet service will work best with my lift emergency phone?
- Will my lift emergency phone be able to dial out during a power outage when connected to the NBN™ network?